Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Fred Thompson 2008?

TODAY PRESIDENT BUSH announced that former Senator Fred Thompson will oversee the process of sheparding the yet-to-be-chosen judicial nominee for the Supreme Court.

If I were running the Republican Party, I would have to strongly urge Senator Thompson to run in 2008. He has everything that could make him presidential--eloquent, yet he speaks from the heart; he's from the South; he sounds genuine and is smart enough to be president. In my opinion, he's even a stronger "anti-politician" than George W. Bush!

I, however, am not a Republican, let alone leading the GOP so I'm not in favor of it. We've seen enough actors-turned-politicians and I'd like someone who has a little more experience than a one-term senator.

In my opinion, I don't think any of the leading contenders of both parties will end up in the general election of 2008. There are so many Hillary-haters out there that it would be foolish for the Democrats to put her up front. Perhaps McCain will run again, but I have a feeling an outsider is going to step into the national spotlight this time around. Fred Thompson is from the South. He has Christian moral values (or is at least perceived as having them). He's not a pretty-boy nor can he be seen as such. He's rugged and a little raw and that's how the South will appeal to him.

For the Democrats, Joe Biden has already mentioned his intention of running. I'm not familiar with his politics, but he seems like an attractive alternative to Senator Clinton, who it seems everybody but Joe Biden is counting on as a shoe-in for the Democratic nomination.

We'll see what happens. It's too early to tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home